QuickBooks Data Recovery: How to Recover Lost Data in QuickBooks
QuickBooks is a premium accounting software designed for small and medium-sized businesses. The application is popular as it’s used by many organizations worldwide. QuickBooks plays an important part when it comes to the management of a business’s accounting and financial responsibilities. This application takes away the business owner’s worry regarding monitoring of personal sales, tracking of payroll, and much more.
Data backup is a must for any business. There are two essential aspects that every business should take into consideration – Security of data and its recovery. Carrying out daily operations without a reliable QuickBooks data recovery solution could lead to huge problems in case of an unexpected data loss. It can be indeed very annoying trying everything possible to recover QuickBooks data when it’s already lost and you need to use it.
So, in this post, we’re going to speak about Intuit QuickBooks Data recovery. We’ll discuss the procedures of recovering or retrieving the deleted QB data file and reports.
What’s QB Data Recovery?
Intuit QB Data recovery can be utilized in a situation where a business or company experiences accidental or disastrous deletion or accidental HardDrive formatting, Windows reinstallation, partition loss, computer boot failure, etc.
Mostly, QB software records are repeatedly expressed in a way.QBA, .IIF, .QBM, .ND, .QBX, .QBW, and .QBY since they organize in the needed host computer. Therefore, QuickBooks users are always advised to seek help from the Intuit QB support to automatically save all their financial data. Though Intuit introduces advanced techniques and tools to help businesses to recover their lost data.
However, they are still prone to errors. The overall design of QB also fails in its functionality sometimes, which if that’s not considered at the appropriate time can bring catastrophic consequences to a business. Indeed, it could be a significant risk in case your business lost its important financial data in QuickBooks. Reporting the matter to QB support in such a situation is important because they can offer convenient and easy QB Data Recovery solutions.
According to a survey, this bookkeeping & accounting software is a huge concern to businesses, and the information is significantly confidential. What’s more, it’s a very user-friendly application for anyone to use. Alternatively, QuickBooks users are advised to schedule backups at regular intervals to reduce the risk of losing data.
Reasons for QuickBooks Data Loss
QuickBooks issues regarding data loss can happen when the software fails to track-down the business information record. Generally, there could be at least one reason for this mistake. So, check below for some possible reasons behind this data loss problem:
- Poor network connection may lead to issues with system connection
- Data theft because of suspicious activities within the system
- If there’s any crashed application or software
- Deleting QuickBooks files accidentally
- If the power sparing mode is switched on
- Issues to do with Firewall protection of access over the computer system
- Permission issues
Steps to Recover Accidentally Deleted QuickBooks File
Financial data saved in a Company File is important and confidential information because it involves a company’s payroll data, receivables & payables, expenses, incomes together with the state and sales tax. Before you begin your QB file data recovery, you must implement a backup strategy. The file backup process is easy and you do it in a few steps below:
Step one: Open QuickBooks and click on “File” and then from the menu, click “Save Copy or Backup”
Step two: Choose the radial tab you see beside “Backup Copy” and then click “Next”
Step three: Choose “Local Backup” and then click on the “Options” button
Step four: Select “Browse”. Choose a suitable destination to which you can save your backup file from the “Browse for Folder” window.
Step five: Click “Next”
Step six: Choose “Save it Now” from the “Save Backup or Copy”. Type the name of your chosen file that you’ve decided for your backup in the section next to the “File Name” and click “Save”.
QuickBooks Auto Data Recovery Tool
The QB Auto Data Recovery Tool is great software designed specifically to recover lost data in QuickBooks. The tool lets you use some important features of auto replication in creating a duplicate QB Company File (.QBW) and the QB Transaction Log File (.QBW.tlg) and well as the auto-recovery function.
How do the QuickBooks Auto Data Recovery Tool Works?
There are two ways in which the QB Auto Data Recovery can help in recovering the lost file and they are as highlighted below:
- Recreating your lost transactions using the current “Transaction Log File” and a copy of your “Company File”.
- Recreating the last few hours of transactions using a copy of the “Company File” and the “Transaction Log File”.
Factors to Consider Before Implementing the “Auto Data Recovery”
Before you start your QB file data recovery or Quicken data recovery process, you must understand a few important points, namely:
- You’ll be able to access QB Auto Data Recovery Tool for QuickBooks Premier, QuickBooks Pro, and QuickBooks Enterprise for Windows.
- The auto data recovery feature isn’t available in Accountant Editions
- You’ll be restricted to a file size limit of 1.5GB. For any backup bigger than 1.5GB, you’ll not be able to create an automatic data recovery.
- Your QB desktop should have the latest updates
Using the QB Auto Data Recovery to Recover “Lost Data”
Solution One: Use the Actual.TLG file with “.QBW.adr File”
The use of the “Original Transaction Log File” and the “Auto Data Recovery” edition of your Company File in recovering the recent transactions is easy. Just follow the procedure below:
- Create a new folder on your desktop and name it QB Test
- Open that folder where you’ve saved the Company File (You can easily see the location of the Company File on the “No Company Open Window” and the “Product Information Screen”.
- Copy the “Corresponding .tlg” file and then paste it to the “QB Test” Folder saved on the Desktop
Reflect File Extensions
- Press the Windows + E to launch File Explorer
- Press “Organize” and select the “Folder” and search options
- If you are using Windows 8, Windows 8.1, or Windows 10, press “View” and select “Filename Extension”
- Next select “Hide Extensions” for the known types of files
- Choose “Apply” and “OK”
- Next, open the “QuickBooks Auto Data Recovery” folder
- Copy “.adr file” and “paste” it into the “QB Test” folder. The folder is going to have a “.QBW.adr” & “.tlg” files on your “QB Test” folder.
- Navigate to the “QB Test” folder and right-click the “QBW.adr” file and choose “Rename”
- Delete the “.adr” at the end of the file
- Reopen QuickBooks and open your Company Files saved in the “QB Test” folder to verify if all your transactions are there.
- Next, “Run” verify utility to make sure the integrity of the Company File
- If the file is okay, then you can relocate the damaged Company File to another location
- Transfer a “QB Test” copy to the actual location
Solution Two: Use the “.QBW.adr” & “.TLG.adr” files
Here, you’re going to utilize the QB Auto Data Recovery tool for both.TLG & .QBW files. That will restore the last twelve hours of your transactions.
- Create a new folder on your Desktop
- Name the folder “QuickBooks”
- Open the “QuickBooksAutoDataRecovery” folder
- Copy “.QBW.add” and “.TLG.adr” files and paste them to the “QB Test” folder
Show the File Extensions
- Press the “Windows + E” keys and launch the “File Explorer”
- Next press “Organize” and select the “Folder & Search” options
- If you’re using Windows 10, Windows 8.1, and Windows 8, press “View” and choose the “File name extension”
- Select “Hide extensions” for the unknown file types
- Choose “Apply” and “OK”
- In the “QB Test” folder, you get rid of the “.adr” at the end of the file name to retain a “.QBW” & “.tlg” files on the “QB Test” folder.
- Next, open QuickBooks and then open the Company File saved in the “QB Test” folder. Verify that all your transactions are available.
- Now “Run” the “Verify utility” to verify the integrity of your Company File
- If your Company File is okay, then you can shift the “Damaged Company File” to another location of your choosing.
- Lastly, transfer the file copy from the “QB Test” folder to the actual location.
With these steps, you’ll be able to recover all your “lost” data in QuickBooks. If you still facing issues while executing the QuickBooks Payroll data recovery process, don’t hesitate to ask for assistance from professionals.
QuickBooks File Recovery Services
As a QuickBooks user who’s looking for accounting file data recovery, you can contact the QB technical support professionals who will assist you in resolving problems like “Unable to open QuickBooks File” and other QuickBooks issues. As we may have mentioned, Intuit developed the “Company File Diagnostic Tool” that helps in checking out the QuickBooks problems by identifying the errors, diagnosing the issues, and eventually repairing them.
However, sometimes the tool can fail to resolve the issues and you’re unable to open your Company File. What you should do next is send the file to the Intuit QB Data Recovery service team for repair. Remember that before you send a file for repair, you must create a backup or a copy for the file.