QuickBooks® for Mac & QuickBooks® for Windows: Beginner’s Guide
QuickBooks for Mac can help your business to better manage its finances and save a great deal of time by getting well-organized. Generally, your business requires having the most critical information at hand. This software provides you with quick access to what your business needs to accomplish tasks with ease and with the shortest time possible.
QuickBooks® for Mac 2021
QuickBooks for Mac 2021 has been enhanced to improve the process of receiving payments to allow small and medium-sized business owners to experience smoother cash flow. The software comes with various new features that ensure a streamlined process where a business owner can enhance their money-in.
A reliable internet connection and optimal QB Payments services may be needed for many of these new functionalities. Extra fees, however, may apply but they are worth it. Some of these new features are mentioned below:
Note: Would like to use Quicken software for your personal financial management and you require help with Quicken Setup? Well, you can reach out to quicken support through the contact details we gave in our previous post.
Auto Payment Reminders
With this new feature, you can easily set reminders for your clients when they need to pay. The feature is developed to save QuickBooks users from the difficult manual work of following up on overdue invoices.
Thanks to the feature, the process is now automated, and sending payment reminder emails is easier and quicker. You can now schedule payment due to reminders together with customizing how you wish the reminder emails to appear to the recipients.
This new feature of QuickBooks for Mac helps you to send a statement with links that motivate customers to clear their outstanding balances immediately through an online payment channel.
Combine Invoice Emails
You’ll now be able to enjoy quicker payments by allowing customers to get multiple invoices in a single, easy-to-process email. Thanks to the feature, you’ll be able to transmit all invoices to a customer attached to one Email. That way, you won’t require combining them manually outside of QB for Mac.
By so doing, you’ll save a lot of time and your customers are going to feel relieved of the hassle of opening an email after another simply to get each of their invoices.
With this new feature of QuickBooks for Mac, you can file 1099 forms electronically without requiring special forms or extra processing time and mailing them. You can easily find out if e-filing is suitable for you and print 1099s copies even if you do electronic-file.
If you’re a state that takes part in the combined state/federal e-filing program, electronically-filing your federal 1099s will ease your state filing as well. However, additional fees apply.
Sales Tax Codes
This feature enables you to record transactions with particular sales tax codes for multiple districts, out of state orders, and non-profit organizations. You’ll be able to easily and quickly find all of the sales tax liabilities by given sales tax codes on your “Sales Tax Revenue Summary”.
Debit/Credit Card Refunds
You can also refund “Merchant Service” fees with a click from inside the “Credit Memo” in QuickBooks. You don’t need to visit an online “Merchant Service” portal anymore.
You can now come up with and reuse various templates for email communications with the client.
Installing and Setting Up QuickBooks® for Mac
If you require help with the installation and setup of your QuickBooks for Mac, the following steps will help you through the processes. You’ll also learn some useful insights to help you get started with this innovative software.
Step One: Ensure You Meet the System Requirements for QuickBooks® for Mac
For you to achieve success in your QuickBooks Mac installation there are minimum requirements your computer system needs to have. You see these requirements on Intuit’s website.
Step Two: Find License and Product numbers
There are two ways of receiving:
- Download a Digital Copy of QuickBooks Mac: You’ll receive an email confirmation with the license and product number.
- Purchased a Physical Copy of QuickBooks for Mac: Find scratch-off label printed on the packaging and scratch it to get the license and product number.
Step Three: Download and Install QB for Mac
You can download QuickBooks for Mac or utilize the CD installer if you bought from a retailer
- Ensure you close all running apps
- Double-click the installer you’ve just downloaded or insert the CD in the Mac’s CD drive. The QB installation Window will open automatically.
- Drag the QB icon to the “Applications” folder. The “Applications” folder usually opens automatically.
- Double-click the QB icon to open the app.
Step Four: Upgrade or Convert your Company File
If you have upgraded to the new edition of QuickBooks for Mac, you’ll require updating your Company File so that it’s compatible with the edition. That will ensure success in QuickBooks Mac Setup.
- Open the Company File in the new version
- QuickBooks will prompt you to convert or update the Company File. If it does, choose “Upgrade”
- If you get a prompt message, choose “OK”
- Check your reports, balances, and accounts to make sure that the right Company File has been converted.
Step Five: QuickBooks® Mac Setup in Multi-user (Optional)
If you have at least a few licenses, you can setup QuickBooks for Mac in the multiple-user environment to ensure all your staff can access the Company File simultaneously. Follow these steps:
- Open the “Multi-user” folder
- Drag the QB Server icon to the “Applications” folder.
- You’ll get a prompt. If you do, choose “Authenticate” to change the “Applications” folder and then enter the Administrator username and password. Choose “OK”
- Open QuickBooks and go to the Company File
- Navigate to “File” and choose “Enable Multi-user Mode” and your Company File will be sharable.
QuickBooks® for Desktop: Installation & Setup
QuickBooks for Desktop is still one of the best and widely used applications for small and medium-sized businesses throughout the world. QuickBooks Desktop is a user-friendly application that’s suitable for any small and growing business. The software is also affordably priced. QB Desktop currently provides four distinct desktop editions, namely:
Each of the last three versions provides a perfect set of functionality and features, which QuickBooks Accountant is a great option for accounting experts who are looking to keep in touch and manage their customers that currently utilize QuickBooks for Desktop applications.
The Latest Features of QuickBooks® for Desktop
QuickBooks for Desktop 2020 version comes with many features are meant to streamline the various processes. Some of these features include:
- Improved System navigation
- Auto Payment reminders
- Bigger help capacity
- The ability to consolidate invoices into one email
In addition to the above feature, all the QuickBooks Desktop versions provide the following:
QuickBooks for Desktop provides excellent invoicing software capacity. That allows users to come up with professional invoices and send them to their customers. The QuickBooks Premier version offers its users a selection of industry-specific templates for invoices, including service and product invoice templates.
Additionally, you have the option of using QuickBooks Payments to receive payment quicker, including adding a “Pay Now” to customers’ invoices for early payment.
The QuickBooks Desktop versions also come with excellent inventory tracking ability. With the function, you can track all goods sold, the cost of the goods, and manage inventory.
The QB Premier version’s inventory module provides more advanced inventory functionalities, including low stock notifications, the capability to track products by part number of the manufacturer, the feature of adding product cost, and the capability of setting reorders points.
Moreover, there are custom fields that can be utilized in tracking extra information for any inventory item.
Bills & Account Payable
The editions of QuickBooks for Desktop have a “Vendor Center” from which you can manage every vendor detail, display a list of active vendors, and the option to add new vendors to QB Desktop. You can add primary and secondary contacts to any vendor as well as notes to any of the vendor files if you like.
There’s also a “Bill Tracker” that offers a perfect summary of every purchase order, overdue bill, open bills, and a sum of the most recently paid bills.
Income and Expenses Tracking
Connect every one of your credit cards and bank accounts to QuickBooks for Desktop so that you can conveniently manage and track the expenses of your business. Connecting your accounts also means that bank reconciliation is easier because most of the entries will be posted on your behalf automatically.
QuickBooks Pro comes with over 100 standard expense reports, while the Enterprise and Premier editions offer over 150 industry-specific reports with even more sophisticated reporting functions coming with the Enterprise edition.
QuickBooks® for Desktop User-Friendliness
QuickBooks for Desktop utilizes navigation centers that ease everything around the application, even for beginners. The main interface is divided into parts with each part providing a flow chart that enables access to particular features associated with each navigation center. Generally, using this application whether for a starter or a pro is easy.
How to Install QuickBooks® for Desktop
The first step to a successful QuickBooks Setup is to download the setup file. Once you’ve downloaded QuickBooks Desktop, follow the below steps to install it. These steps are relevant for both reinstalling and installing QB Desktop for the first time.
Step One: Preparing for the Installation
- Ensure that your computer fulfills the system requirements for QuickBooks installation
- Hopefully, you’ve already downloaded the QuickBooks for Desktop. If you haven’t, download and save the file on your computer’s Windows desktop for easy access.
- Ensure you have your Product and License Numbers close
Step Two: Install QuickBooks® for Desktop
- Double-click the file “QuickBooks.exe” you’ve just downloaded
- Follow the on-screen instructions and accept the license agreement and then choose “Next”
- Enter the Product & License Numbers and choose “Next”
Step Three: Decide which Type of Installation to Follow
You’ve two options when it comes to QuickBooks installation: Express and Custom & Network
You should follow an Express install if you’re:
- A beginner in QuickBooks
- Re-installing QuickBooks
- Going to use QB on a single computer (the one you’re installing on)
1. Choose “Express” and then click “Next”
2. Choose “Install”
3. Once the process finishes, choose “Open QuickBooks” to get yourself started
Custom & Network Installation
This type of QuickBooks installation is recommended if you’re:
- Installing QuickBooks in a location other than the default one (such as the server)
- Doing QuickBooks setup in a multi-user network
- Hosting your Company File on a server
1. Choose “Custom & Network Options” and then click “Next”
2. Choose the option describing how you’ll be using QuickBooks
3. On the next window, choose “Change the install location”
4. Choose “Browse” to determine where to save your QB folder. You can save it in your Programs folder
5. Click “Next” to begin the install
6. When it’s complete, choose “Open QuickBooks” and get yourself started.
Step Four: QuickBooks® File Set
Once you install QuickBooks for Desktop, the next step is to activate it. QuickBooks is going to prompt you to activate it. However, you can also complete the activation manually using these steps:
- Open QuickBooks
- Go to the “Help” menu and choose “Activate QuickBooks Desktop”
- Follow the on-screen instruction to verify your information
Once the process finishes, QuickBooks will already be activated and you’re ready to work.
QuickBooks File Setup
The Company File is the one saving all of your financial information and grows with you. You can save several Company Files for several businesses in QuickBooks. Each business ought to have its own Company File.
Creating a New Company File
You’ll use your business data in creating your Company File. The in-product guide will take you through these QuickBooks PC setup steps:
- Open QuickBooks Desktop
- In the “No Company Open” screen, choose “Create a New Company”
So far, you’ve two QuickBooks Desktop Setup options:
- Choose “Express Start” or “Start Setup” if you wish to get started immediately. You only require entering your business name, business type, and industry to create a Company File. Later on, you can fill in the info.
- Choose “Detailed Start” if you wish to complete the Intuit QuickBooks Setup so all your information is included from the beginning.
Follow the on-screen instruction to complete the Intuit Setup. If you’re an existing Company File in QB, you can name the new one uniquely. That will prevent QuickBooks from overwriting your data accidentally.
When you’re through with the QuickBooks Windows Setup process, you can comfortably begin working in your QuickBooks for Desktop.